Hello friends. Some blog activity yesterday introduced me to the Liebster Award, and because I don’t get included on many blog world things, I decided to participate. Lots of elevens up ahead, so bear with me. First I’m going to answer the questions provided by Dale who nominated me, then give eleven facts about myself, and then create eleven questions of my own to use as nominations for eleven other bloggers…whew! Here we go.
- What inspired you to start blogging, and what is your ultimate vision for your blog? I first started blogging after I changed life plans in 2011. I had just left my university for one closer to home, and my sister actually suggested I take up blogging as a hobby. I’ve changed blog names/platforms since then, but I’ve worked the hardest with my current, Caviar Dreams. My vision for my blog is to just share beautiful things from my world, whether it’s a cute moment between my husband and puppy or the vintage home accessories I discovered. I’m currently pursuing my dream of becoming a published author; I am actively working toward having my blog (and life!) reflect what I love about my writing.
- How do you plan to grow your blog and market it? This is tough, because blogging is so competitive. I admit I haven’t made any huge strides in marketing myself, but I did make business cards and have reached out to businesses in my home town in hopes of collaborating with them. I have a feature coming up in mid-April with a small business that I’ve shopped at all my life. I’m excited to see if my readers enjoy the interview with the owner!
- What is one of your favorite books? My favorite book is The Time’s Traveler’s Wife. I have read it many times and it has maintained its poignancy for me over the years. I also love Sarah Addison Allen’s books, and I cannot wait for her new release!
- What is your favorite thing to do in your free time? When I’m not writing or blogging, I love to read and play with my puppy Simon. If I have the car, you can bet I’m using my free time to visit unique shops and vintage stores or finding a new restaurant to call my favorite. I’ve found the snow is very limiting in Alaska, so movie nights are always good too.
- What advice would you give to a new blogger? My advice to a new blogger would be to just keep swimming. Early on, I felt continually discouraged about my numbers and how many followers I had. These days, I’d rather put out a post I feel really proud of than worry about how many views it will receive. I still feel like a new blogger myself sometimes!
- Tea or coffee? Water! With ice and if I’m feeling fancy, a lemon.
- What has influenced your style and taste? Growing up in Southeast Missouri definitely influenced me, as well as my loving family. There was never any emphasis on labels or brands when I grew up, and I love that. While I’ve honed in on what I like that is considered “current”, I am still influenced most by my up-bringing and afternoons as a little wild child in my backyard.
- Do you have a process for selecting content for your posts? I’m actually going through a transition with my blog right now. I am focusing more on what I have around me than by the endless products the internet has to offer. Mostly though, I just write about whatever is floating around in my head.
- What is a typical day like for you? Right now I am a stay-at-home wife, so I wake up with Simon after my husband leaves for work. I’ve spent most of these winter days reading, writing, and playing with Simon. We both are so ready for springtime walks, it’s not even funny!
- If you could meet anyone for lunch, who would it be and why? I would have to meet my mom’s mother for lunch. Both my sister and I never got a chance to meet her, and I would invite my sister and mom to join us and we’d have the longest, most wonderful lunch in the history of lunches.
- What is your favorite way to unwind? A good, old-fashioned back scratching. They are too few and far between, in my opinion!
Now for the facts about me.
- I am left-handed in every aspect…well, except using a mouse with my left hand, because that just feels unnatural.
- I have the very bad habit of choosing potato-based sides for both options of an entree.
- Edward Scissorhands has been my favorite movie since I first saw it around age five.
- I probably tell Simon he’s “so cute” once every hour…if not more.
- I have portrayed the Virgin Mary, a mentally unstable daughter, a country hick, a domineering wife, a ghost, and manly house guest in theatrical performances. Versatile, no?
- If I am unsuspecting, I am terribly easy to surprise and scare. Most often, each scenario ends up with me in tears.
- I have exceptional recall when it comes to actors’ names, faces, and the movies/shows they have been in.
- I hate introducing myself–I have an irrational fear that I will mispronounce my name.
- I require excess amounts of sleep to function properly. If I get less then eight hours, it’s going to be a rough day.
- I can say the Pledge of Allegiance with my mouth closed.
- M is a very prominent letter in my family’s names, however it took me getting married to add one to my own.
I don’t have eleven, but here are my nominations (if you have over 200 followers, go you! And sorry for including you):
And my questions for them.
- What is your favorite childhood memory and why?
- Can you pinpoint the moment in your life when you decided what you wanted to be/do? If so, please share.
- What has been your biggest struggle as a blogger?
- If you could have a movie made based on your life, what would your soundtrack sound like?
- Are you more known for your practicality or creativity?
- What was the first blog you started reading, and do you still read it today?
- What’s your favorite thing about your current city?
- What’s one thing you loathe about social media/blogging?
- Who do you talk to when you’ve got a creativity block?
- What’s your favorite quote from a book/movie/interview/etc that you feel like embodies your life?
- Do you think blogging is just a phase or here to stay?
Sorry for the wonky inconsistent fonts. Happy Wednesday, folks!